Minutes of a meeting of Hamsterley Parish Council
held on Monday 8 September 2014 in The Village Hall, Hamsterley
Present: Jane Bee (Chairman), Rachel Atkinson, Dominic Bayne, Sue Heslop, Julia Hunter, Jonathan Peacock, Caroline Peacock (Clerk)
Apologies: Simon Raine
- Approval of previous Minutes: JP, SH
- Matters arising:
- a) Village Pond restoration project. JP has asked for quote for pond clearance. Awaiting response.
- b) War memorial. Addition of Capt. R Holloway’s name and general refurbishment completed on time. Invoice to come from Allisons. JP explained that a re-dedication ceremony appears to be very unusual, perhaps unique. The army had very much appreciated it and may use Hamsterley’s ceremony as a model for other such occasions elsewhere.
- c) Broken bench at west end of village. Quote for repair now received but may be a DCC issue instead, so CP will check.
- d) Unduly tight parking on village pavements. CP had notified Durham Constabulary, requesting occasional visits to monitor. Request acknowledged but no action yet. CP will send reminder.
Planning Application no. DM/14/00276/FPA for excavation of earth banking (retrospective) and siting of warden/manager accommodation, Linburn caravan site – pending submission.
Planning Application no. DM/14/01409/FPA by Mr Peter Monk for two detached dwellings behind Cowley House with access road – pending decision.
Planning Application CMA/6/48 Windy Bank wind farm proposal – Parish Council response, repeating opposition from last time and emphasising no change of view. Adding concern about through traffic during proposed construction period.
- New Business:
- a) Proposed removal of Telephone Box, notified 26/8/2014 – 42 days consultation period. SH. Following extended discussion, a decision was taken that the box is now so little used, partly because no longer coin-operated anyway, that it is meaningless to insist on its retention. It was a matter of regret that the Parish Council had not, however, been informed – merely a notice posted in the box.
- b) Drain/soakaway on Hollin Bank still blocked; potential ice risk in winter. CP would again notify DCC of importance of addressing before winter.
- c) JP explained threat to Steve Ragg’s job as head of CDALC (Co Durham Association of Local Councils). All agreed this would be very regrettable. Would table a proposal for increased support from Parish Councils, to be heard at AGM of CDALC, November 2014.
- Date of next Parish Council Meeting: Monday 10 November 2014