Dennison

Susan Lawrence (Nee Dennison) – William Dennison

Susan Lawrence (Nee Dennison) wrote:

“My Great great grandfather William Dennison was born in Bedburn, Hamsterley in 1828 (23 in 1851 census.) I know he lived at Bedburn Mill and was probably born there. He married Ann Mitchison from Kenton. He later left his wife and family and according to family history ran off with a ‘bit of fluff’! ( My father’s expression.) We have a photo of him as an old man he sent back to his son also William Dennison living in Villiers St, Stockton from Australia! I can’t trace him after that, but he may have had another family in Australia. Any info about parents etc. would be gratefully received.”

Jonathan Peacock replied:

“You have probably spotted William in the 1841 census as well, when he was living at Bedburn Mill – giving his age as 14. his father George was a jobbing smith there, which fits in as at this time the mill was a forge and factory making edge tools (spades etc). His father gave his age as 30, but remember that in 1841 ages were not exact, but rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so he was between 30 and 34. Williams mother was Mary, aged 20-24. They were both born in the county. I was down at the mill site today, and looking at the mill race etc.

“Do come and see us at our village history fair on 13 August. We will be showing, for example, a spade made at this time at the mill.”

If you can help with any information, please respond via the ‘Leave a Reply‘ box at the foot of the page.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

pf button Dennison

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>