Stephenson

Ann Goodwin – The Stephensons

Ann wrote:

“My family come from this area and I would love to know more about them and my ancestors. They were: Albert Dryden Stephenson born early 1900′s and Dorothy Muriel Stephenson born March 30th 1911. The family were farmers and timber merchants until the late 1930′s. As a child I was taken to visit an aunt of my mother’s at Orchard View (a thatched cottage) I think in Hamsterley.”

Jonathan Peacock replied:

“Albert Dryden Stephenson was born in 1906.  The GRO reference is Auckland, vol 10a, page 274 in Sep 1906. To take it further you need his birth certificate and hence his father’s Christian name – there are at least 6 Stephenson faimilies in the 1901 census.

“Try and come to the village history day on August 13.  If you haven’t got it, I can show you how to get the certificate on line, and the census returns.”

If you can help with any information, please respond via the ‘Leave a Reply‘ box at the foot of the page.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Frank Sanderson – The Stephensons

Frank wrote:

“I am related to the Stephenson family from Hamsterley through my grandmother Edith Stepenson (1883-1922), daughter of Joseph Stephenson and Eliza Simpson/Beadle. They lived at Pond House. I’m happy to correspond with Ann on family history.”

We put Frank in touch with Ann (Goodwin), and also with Johnathan Peacock and they are now corresponding.

Frank has also contributed the article ‘The accidental death of Jane Sanderson‘ and a piece on the Vestry.

There are also some images of the Sanderson family and Pond House on the Gallery – History – People page.

If you can help with any information, please respond via the ‘Leave a Reply‘ box at the foot of the page.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

pf button Stephenson

3 Responses to Stephenson

1. Lin Stephenson says:

My husband’s family come from Hamsterley and we are visiting the village on 18th July 2013 to research further.
    We have details of Anthony Stephenson b 1811 and his wife Jane b 1816. His mother was also Jane Stephenson and was born in 1781. Anthony Stephenson is shown as Grocer assistant overseer in the 1881 census. In the census of 1851 he is shown as ‘Grocer, boot and shoemaker and employing three men.
    As there were several Stephenson families in the village at the time we are hoping not to get confused!
    Any information on where they may have lived in the village or where they are buried would be very helpful, as would any other items however small.

2. Jackiew Thorburn says:

My gt gt grandmother was Elizabeth Alton (born 1820 Woodham), her first marriage in 1847 was to Joseph Vart, a farmer of Greenfield near St Helen’s Auckland. Joseph died in 1859 & Elizabeth continued to live in Etherley with her children. However, Elizabeth remarried on the 29th April1866 at St Cuthberts, Etherley. She married a John Stephenson, who described himself as a widowed farmer of Hamsterley. John’s father was Joseph Stephenson, also described as a farmer. They cannot have been married for long as Elizabeth Stephenson was listed as a widow again on the 1881 census. Interestingly on the 1871 census she’s living in Etherley with her son, describing herself as married … but her husband is nowhere to be seen. I’d appreciate any help in identifying this particular John Stephenson.
    PS: Elizabeth’s daughter Jane Vart married Matthew Gray & they settled in Hamsterley (Diddridge).
    Thank you, Jackie Thorburn (Edinburgh)

• Frank Sanderson says:

Hi Jackie,
      Joseph Stephenson is my gg grandfather. In 1871, John Stephenson (my g grandfather Joseph’s brother) was farming in Hamsterley. His wife was not present, but his recently widowed mother Mary was living with him.
      Glad to correspond with you about this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>